Fancy Stitch Cushion
Bring together all the colours of a room with one perfect accent.
This bold, textured pillow is a canvas full of ribbons, trims, threads, couching, and decorative machine stitching.
Create unique effects by varying the widths of the ribbons and fabric strips. Try combining different fabrics and textures—like velvet, silk, and satin. Contrasting colours will create drama, and more harmonious colors create sophistication. You’ll be surprised how easy it is to create this dazzling look!
- 11 cm (1/8 yd)of chocolate-brown silk dupioni
- 60 cm (2/3 yd (0.6 m) of copper silk dupioni
- 11 cm (1/8 yd) of turquoise silk dupioni
- 25 cm (1/4 yd) of fusible interfacing
- 1 m (1 1/8 yd) of 13 mm 13 mm wide (1/2") turquoise satin ribbon
- 1 m (1 1/8 yd) of 2.5 cm wide (1") brocade trim
- 1.6 m (1 3/4 yd) of fringed trim
- Matching all purpose thread
- Rayon thread for decorative sewing (chocolate brown, turquoise)
- Pearl crown rayon or crochet thread for decorative sewing (chocolate brown,
- copper, and/or turquoise)
- Cutting tools
- 35.6 cm (14") square pillow form
Size : 35.6 cm square (14")
Seam Allowance: 6 mm (1/4”) and 13 mm (1/2”)
From the copper silk:
Cut one 38 cm square (15”) for pillow back plus one piece 9 X 94 cm (3 1?2" x 37")
From the turquoise and chocolate-brown silk:
Cut one piece each 10 × 94 cm (4" x 37")
From the interfacing:
Cut one piece 23 × 94 cm (9" x 37")
1. Thread the machine and bobbin with all-purpose thread. Pin a long edge of the chocolate-brown silk strip to a long edge of the copper silk strip, right sides together. Sew, leaving a 6 mm (1?4") seam allowance. Press open the seam.
2. With right sides together, pin the turquoise silk strip to the other long edge of the copper strip. Sew and press open the seam. Fuse the interfacing to the wrong side of the pieced strips, following the manufacturer’s instructions.
3. With a straight stitch, stitch the brocade trim along the seamline of the chocolate and copper strips.
4. Choose a decorative stitch and a contrasting or matching thread colour. Sew the turquoise satin ribbon onto the chocolate-brown strip.
5. Embellish the surface of the fabrics with couched cords (see techniques above) and with a variety of decorative thread colours and stitches — zigzag, thorn, chevron, honeycomb, to name a few of the many choices.
HANDY HINT: Work with special presser feet to stitch novelty threads onto the surface of the fabric. The satin foot (also called a special-purpose foot) has a grooved bottom that allows thick or heavy threads to pass underneath easily. A cording foot has holes or slots on top of it, through which you can place one, two, or three strands of cord. Experiment with ribbon floss, lightweight yarns, crochet cotton, and other textured strands.
HANDY HINT: To add dimension to your stitching, try winding pearl crown rayon onto the bobbin. Select a decorative stitch—a wide zigzag, for example. Turn the fabric face down and stitch. The bobbin thread stitches on the right side of the fabric, adding texture and interest to the surface.
6. Cut the embellished strip into four 20 cm squares (8”). Rotate the squares to form a larger square, as shown in the drawing. With a straight stitch, sew the squares together with a 13 mm (1/2”) seam allowance. Press open the seams.
7. Pin the trim to the outside edges of the pillow top, positioning the edge of the trim within the seam allowance. Be sure that you are pinning the trim to the right side of the pillow top. Straight-stitch the trim in place with a 13 mm (1/2”) seam allowance.
8. Pin the pillow back to the pillow front, right sides together. Stitch with a 13 mm (1/2”) seam allowance, backstitching at the beginning and end. Leave a 13 cm (5”) opening on one side of the pillow. Turn the fabrics right side out. Insert the pillow form. Hand-sew the opening closed.
Your fancy new pillow will transform the room.
This project has been reproduced from the easy Singer Style Pattern-Free Home Accents book (ISBN 9781589233201) published by Creative Publishing International. Packed with easy to follow ideas to transform your home, all projects have clear illustrated step-by-step instructions.